Uso de las mayúsculas en Inglés

 

Uso de mayúsculas en inglés

  • Gentilicios e idiomas

Se ponen mayúsculas no solo en el país (“Spain”) sino en su gentilicio (“Spanish”). Este error es uno de esos motivos tontos por los que se suelen restar puntos en los exámenes para la obtención de un título oficial de inglés.

Ejemplo: “I’m Spanish and I speak English” (Soy español y hablo inglés)

  • Pronombre personal “yo”

Puede parecer egocentrismo, pero en inglés, cuando nos referimos a nosotros mismos, siempre lo hacemos en mayúsculas, aunque el pronombre no esté al inicio de la frase.

Ejemplo: “I told you that I don’t want to go” (Te dije que no quiero ir)

  • Meses del año

Siempre en mayúsculas también. Poco a poco vamos imitando esta norma inglesa y se nos cuelan en castellano los nombres de los meses del año en mayúsculas, cuando en nuestro idioma la regla es que se escriban con minúscula, pues no se consideran nombres propios.

  • Días de la semana

Es el mismo caso que el de los meses del año; en inglés utiliza las mayúsculas, en castellano, siempre en minúscula.

  • Profesiones

Se ponen en mayúsculas cuando se refieren a títulos y van seguidas de de un nombre propio.

Ejemplo: “Doctor Jones”, “Professor Smith”, “General Allen”

  • Títulos

Por ejemplo, el título de una noticia, de un artículo, un libro, película o informe. En este caso se pondrá en mayúsculas la primera letra de cada una de las palabras del título, excepto artículos, conjunciones y preposiciones. Sirve para resaltar dicho título, pero te recomendamos que no abuses mucho de esta técnica y solo la utilices en casos puntuales.

Ejemplo: “Report on Spanish Working Abroad” (Informe sobre Españoles Trabajando en el Extranjero)

También según la fuente de Aprende Inglés Sila:

  • La primera letra de cada palabra léxica del título de un libro, una peli, un artículo, una canción etc…

Esta regla es diferente al español y por eso, los que hemos estudiado en inglés, a veces nos confundimos al escribir el título de un artículo en español. Por ejemplo, si buscáis posts antiguos (que tengo que corregir…ya lo sé), veréis que escribo en mayúscula todas las palabras léxicas.

Las palabras léxicas son las que tienen significado (perro, libro casa), mientras que las palabras gramaticales (artículos, preposiciones, etc.) carecen de significado léxico (la , este, de, etc…)

En inglés el título de este post sería: The Use of Capital Letters-Capitalization.

Otros ejemplos:

A Tale of Two Cities

Gone with the Wind 

  • Después de dos puntos:

Solo se pone en mayúscula después de los dos puntos cuando le siguen dos o más frases:

I love John Fowles’ writing: His book, The Collector, was greatAlso, The Magus.

No se usa mayúscula si después de los dos puntos sigue

  • solo una frase:

I love John Fowles’ writing: his book, The Collector, was great.

  • una lista:

My favourite foods are: oranges, chips, and carrots

 

Capitalization in English

·         Gentiles and languages

They are capitalized not only in the country ("Spain") but in its demonym ("Spanish"). This mistake is one of those silly reasons why exam points are usually subtracted to obtain an official English title.

Example: "I'm Spanish and I speak English"

Panamanian,

Chilean

·         Personal pronoun "I"

It may seem self-centered, but in English, when we refer to ourselves, we always do it in capital letters, even if the pronoun is not at the beginning of the sentence.

Example: "I told you that I don't want to go"

I am student

I like the ice cream

·         Months of the year

Always in capital letters too. Little by little we are imitating this English norm and the names of the months of the year in capital letters slip into Spanish, when in our language the rule is that they are written with lower case, since they are not considered proper names.

Example:January, March, August

 

·         Weekdays

It is the same case as that of the months of the year; in English, use capital letters, in Spanish, always in lower case.

Example: Sunday, Monday, Saturday

 

·         Professions

They are capitalized when referring to titles and are followed by a proper name.

Example: “Doctor Jones”,

“Professor Smith”,

 “General Allen”

 

·         Titles

For example, the title of a news item, an article, a book, a movie or a report. In this case, the first letter of each of the words in the title will be capitalized, except for articles, conjunctions and prepositions. It serves to highlight said title, but we recommend that you do not abuse this technique too much and only use it in specific cases.

Example: “Report on Spanish Working Abroad”

 

·         The first letter of each lexical word of the title of a book, a movie, an article, a song etc...

This rule is different from Spanish and that is why those of us who have studied in English sometimes get confused when writing the title of an article in Spanish. For example, if you look for old posts (which I have to correct…I know), you will see that I capitalize all lexical words.

Lexical words are those that have meaning (dog, book, house), while grammatical words (articles, prepositions, etc.) lack lexical meaning (la, este, de, etc…)

 

In English the title of this post would be: The Use of Capital Letters-Capitalization.

 

Other examples:

 

A Tale of Two Cities

 

Gone with the Wind

 

·         After a colon:

It is only capitalized after the colon when it is followed by two or more sentences:

 

I love John Fowles' writing: His book, The Collector, was great. Also, The Magus.

 

Do not use a capital letter if after the colon it follows

 

just one sentence:

I love John Fowles' writing: his book, The Collector, was great.

 

a list:

My favorite foods are: oranges, chips, and carrots

 

Bibliographic references:

Torre, A. N. (06 de 30 de 2023). Obtenido de aprendemasingles: https://www.aprendemasingles.com/2014/02/20/7-reglas-para-usar-bien-mayusculas-en-ingles/

Collins. (2023). Obtenido de collinsdictionary: https://grammar.collinsdictionary.com/es/gramatica-inglesa/cuando-se-usan-las-mayusculas-en-ingles

Marca registrada de English Room, S. (2023). Aulaingles.es. Obtenido de https://aulaingles.es/mayusculas-en-ingles/

 

(s.f.). Obtenido de gcfglobal: https://idiomas.gcfglobal.org/es/curso/ingles/gramatica/uso-de-mayusculas-en-ingles/

 

|, i. (s.f.). Obtenido de thegoodenglishacademy: https://thegoodenglishacademy.com/reglas-mayusculas-ingles/

 

Comentarios